In times of stress, you need good food, a community of people who understand, a comfortable night’s sleep, and a place to be with your family. That is what you get at our Ronald McDonald House.
Staying with us means:
- A community of parents and families who understand what you’re going through
- Freshly made meals provided by caring volunteers
- Clean, comfortable spaces for daily living
- Peaceful spaces to get away
- A quiet place to rest
It might not be home. But we want you to feel like you have a place where you belong.
To stay at our Ronald McDonald House, you must be referred by the hospital where your child is being treated. Please contact your hospital’s social worker to learn more about the referral process. At this time, returning families must also be referred.
Our House is a place of comfort and rest for families with children (21 and under) in active treatment at nearby hospitals. Our House is designed for families with children who require:
- Inpatient medical treatment
- Scheduled and recurring outpatient medical visits that require overnight stays
- Fetal healthcare or neonatal intensive care
We strive to make sure you have everything you need to live comfortably throughout your stay.
Our amenities include:
- Comfortable rooms with private bathrooms
- Spacious family kitchen spaces
- Laundry facilities in the building
- Elevators for easy handicap accessibility
- Music, TV, and other entertainment and activities
- Community computers on each floor and Wi-Fi
Frequently Asked Questions
How close is Ronald McDonald House to Norton Children’s Hospital and Frazier Rehab Institute?
Ronald McDonald House is less than a quarter-mile (about 5 minutes) from Norton Children’s Hospital and Frazier Rehab Institute.
Who Can Stay at the Ronald McDonald House?
- Families who have a child 21 years or younger currently receiving medical treatment at a Louisville-area hospital.
- Families must live outside of Jefferson County, KY, and Clark or Floyd County, IN to be eligible to stay.
- Parents under the age of 18, unless married, will need to have an approved adult parent or guardian staying with them.
How do I request a room?
- You will need a referral from a doctor, nurse, or social worker to confirm the need for a room. Referrals to be put on our waiting list can be made up to four days in advance of the night you need to check in. If you have stayed with us in the past 30 days, you may self-refer here.
- We are unable to take reservations. Once you check-in, as long as you use the room on a nightly basis, you may have a room until your child is discharged.
- You will need to call the day you need to check in to see if a room is available for you.
How do I obtain a referral?
We must receive confirmation of current or upcoming medical treatment from the child’s doctor’s office, hospital, or medical facility where services are being received. Referrals can be made through our website.
Is there a charge for me to stay?
Families stay free of charge at our Ronald McDonald House. Each night, it costs Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kentuckiana approximately $108 to house one family. Guests are welcome to make a donation to support their stay, however, there is no requirement to do so.
Do I need to bring my insurance information with me?
We do seek reimbursement for lodging expenses that are covered for families by their medical insurance (i.e. Medicaid). Please bring your insurance card with you to check in so that our guest services staff can make a copy for billing purposes.
How Will the Check-In Process Work?
- When we have confirmed a room for you, you will need to check in between 3 pm and 9 pm. Please note that we are in the Eastern time zone.
- Our main entrance is on First Street. When you arrive, you will see a set of three doors. Ring the doorbell on the left-hand side and a Guest Services team member will let you in. Once you are checked in you will get a key card that will allow you to come and go as you please.
- Please bring a picture ID for each adult and insurance information for the patient, if you have it. The check-in process will take about 20-30 minutes to complete.
- A Guest Services team member will go over all guest guidelines and policies and give you a tour of our House. It is very important that all people staying in your room are here for check-in.
Is there internet available at the House?
We have Wi-Fi access throughout the House, as well as community computers on floors 2-4.
Are families permitted to have visitors?
Visitors are welcome from 9 am to 9 pm daily. You will need to sign in visitors at the Front Desk at each visit. You are responsible for the behavior and conduct of individuals visiting you. All rules apply to visitors. Please note, any person who has a physical condition that would endanger the health of our other guests, such as a cold or flu, chickenpox, etc., may not visit Ronald McDonald House.
Is parking available to Ronald McDonald House families?
Yes! We have a free parking lot across the street from our main entrance.
Are meals and activities provided by Ronald McDonald House?
- Through our Adopt-A-Meal program, meal volunteers (community civic groups, churches, businesses, etc.) prepare nutritious and delicious meals for our guest families nightly. When meal groups aren’t scheduled, prepared food can be found in the Help Yourself fridges on each floor.
- We also have communal kitchens on each floor for our families to use. Each family has their own small kitchen cabinet for dry food, as well as a common refrigerator/freezer space with a marked drawer. The kitchen is fully stocked with cooking appliances and utensils. Free coffee is available 24/7 and our vending machines offer Coke products.
- Our communal pantries on each floor are stocked with basic non-perishable food, as well as communal refrigerators with staple items like milk, eggs, leftovers, and more.
- In addition to our common spaces, our calendar is usually booked with many groups volunteering to provide fun activities for you and your children. The activities schedule is posted at the front desk.
Can flowers, packages, mail, etc., be sent to a family while they are staying at Ronald McDonald House?
We accept deliveries during normal business hours and will be happy to forward them to the family. However, because families sometimes check out unexpectedly, it is best to call ahead and confirm with the family that they are still staying with us before you send anything.
Is smoking permitted at Ronald McDonald House?
- Smoking, vaping, and the use of tobacco products is prohibited within the House.
- Guests will need to smoke at least 50 feet from an entrance. Violation of this rule will be the basis for immediate eviction.
Will Ronald McDonald House provide me with transportation?
Norton Security graciously offers a shuttle from RMH to Norton’s Children Hospital for those who are unable to walk, and anyone after dark. You can request a ride or walking escort by calling 502-629-8500. This is a courtesy that Norton provides. If there is a pressing matter at the hospital, they may not be able to pick you up, or there may be a delay. After calling, please be ready and waiting in the lobby for them to arrive.
** Norton Security can only transport children if you have the proper child restraint seat required by law and you install it in the vehicle. **
Does RMHC allow service animals?
The House allows service animals as defined by Title II and II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. No other pets are allowed in the House. Please contact us should you have a service animal.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kentuckiana
550 S. First Street
Louisville, Kentucky 40202