16 Feb Fun Facts About 1984
Posted at 12:30h in RMHCK History
We are celebrating our 30th anniversary this year and in honor of that, please enjoy these awesome bits of history that occurred in 1984.
- The Olympic Games were held in Los Angeles, CA.
- The first MTV Video Music Awards were held.
- Jeopardy made its second version debut on September 10, 1984. (Our birthday!)
- Apple Computer places the Macintosh personal computer on sale in the United States.
- Michael Jackson is accidentally severely burned at the filming of a Pepsi commercial.
- Astronauts Bruce McCandless II and Robert L. Stewart made the first untethered spacewalk.
- Ronald Reagan is re-elected as President of the United States.
- The 56th Academy Awards were hosted by Johnny Carson.
- The Chicago White Sox defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 7-6 in the longest game in MLB history: 25 innings totaling 8 hours, 6 minutes.
- Joe Kittinger became the first person to cross the Atlantic, solo, in a hot air balloon.
- Aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger, astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan became the first American woman to perform a spacewalk.
- Nobel Peace Prize went to Bishop Desmond Tutu
- The Motion Picture Association of America instituted the PG-13 rating