For a family with a seriously ill child, a long day at the hospital can be exhausting and a delicious meal can be quite the pick-me-up. Our goal is to provide families with at least one meal a day at the Ronald McDonald House and we depend on volunteer groups to prepare and organize homemade meals for our families. Our volunteer groups are families, churches, school groups, or community organizations, many of whom have been coming for years!
Here is some general information about our Adopt-A-Meal program that may help you decide if this is the volunteer opportunity for you:
- For the health and well-being of our families ALL food must be prepared in our kitchen or in a commercial kitchen. Any store-bought items should be in unopened containers and all produce should be brought in whole.
- We ask that groups limit themselves to no more than 12 people (this does include adult chaperones if there are youth with the group).
- Children under the age of 10 are not permitted in the kitchen area due to the nature of the tasks involved with preparing the meal. Children under 16 years of age must be supervised at all times.
- When our House is full, plan on preparing dinner for approximately 60-75 people and brunch for 30-40 people. We encourage you to call our front desk, 502-581-1416, a few days in advance to get a better idea of how many people are staying at our House.
- Dinner is served at approximately 6 p.m., please arrive between 4-4:30 p.m. for orientation. Brunch is served at approximately 10 a.m., please arrive between 8-8:30 a.m. for orientation. Early arrivals will not have access to the kitchen before the times listed above.
- Please wear closed toe, non-skid shoes.
- To help other meal volunteers and families plan, please submit your menu at least 1 week in advance to ProgramCoordinator@RMHCK.org.
- If you’re unable to Adopt-A-Meal or come to our House to prepare a meal, see below about our Sponsor-A-Meal program.
You must read these before scheduling a meal: Adopt-A-Meal Complete Guidelines
Not sure what to cook?: Adopt-A-Meal Suggestions (For more ideas or to see what is being prepared on the days around your date, see our menu calendar below the open meals calendar on this page.)
For more information and planning purposes, please see our calendar below for available dates. Open events at 6pm are dinners and open events at 10am are brunches. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 502-371-1442 or laura@RMHCK.org to schedule a meal. When you email us, please have a few dates that may work for your group.
If you are interested in providing a meal for our Ronald McDonald House but are not able to come and cook a meal, you can now Sponsor-A-Meal! Simply make a $200 donation to RMHCK and we will order food for a night in your name. Our in-house Adopt-A-Meal calendars will have your family’s or company’s name on it for providing dinner for the night. If you would like to sponsor a meal, please make sure to write Sponsor-A-Meal on the check memo and submit the Sponsor-A-Meal form. All donations for Sponsor-A-Meal are tax-deductible. If you have any questions or would like to pay by credit card, please call our Volunteer Coordinator.
Not sure what to cook?
Check out the calendar below to see what others are preparing. Simply click on the menu you wish to see. Once you’ve decided on your menu, please email Laura@RMHCK.org.